By now, I hope you have your Thanksgiving menu, shopping and prep list ready to go. I wrote about this last year, as it’s the best way to sane on Thanksgiving.
But if you don’t, or need to add a dish – this Spicy Sausage and Peppers Stuffing is pretty delicious. As is the Sage Brown Butter Sweet Potato Bake I posted last week.
It’s Thanksgiving week, and if you’re cooking – this is a friendly reminder to try shopping today. 🙂 There is no worst day to be in the grocery store than Wednesday!
Here’s the recipe and HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
- 10 cups crusty bread, Sourdough, White, or Gluten-Free, cut in half inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- 1.5 sticks butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound italian sausage, mild or spicy - sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Toast the bread. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Cube the bread and place on two sheet pans. Toast for 7-8 minutes, until the cubes are crispy but not hard.
- Cook the sausage. Heat a large saute pan on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp of oil and cook the sausage in two batches, until brown on both sides - 5-6 minutes per batch. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the vegetables. In the same pan, add the butter, onions, celery, and red pepper. Cook 12-15 minutes until the celery is soft. Add the garlic, thyme and sage and cook an additional minute.
- Assemble stuffing.In a large bowl, place the bread cubes, sausage, vegetables and toss. Gradually add up to 1 cup of chicken stock
- Bake. Place the stuffing in a baking dish and bake 25-30 minutes at 350.